Loading the slideshow
The slideshow requires script be turned on to function.
related linksRead more for first-time buyers
FIND YOUR DREAM HOME OR APARTMENT
must-see on msn
Our house was 37 years old when we bought it. There were renters living in it at the time. We paid for an inspection, which we got. But, when the inspector came to do his work, the renters didn't leave. They made some excuse about not knowing we were coming and spent the whole time "cooking" in the kitchen some very strong smelling food and sort of blocking the sink, dishwasher, stove area...
Our inspector and us were not bold enough to force them out of the kitchen while they were in there, but we all just assumed that everything in there worked OK, and big surprise...when we moved in found out the sink was totally clogged, dishwasher couldn't run because of the sink issue, and garbage disposal was ruined from all the rot sitting in there. Also, the stove was half broken and gas leaking-which we couldn't smell at the time because of their food smell.
So, had to replace it all and have plumber come in and fix plumbing problems. Thank goodness we had a one year warranty from our realtor, because it ended up to be about $2000 in new equipment, pipes and labor.
So, even with an inspection, you sometimes don't know what you are getting into.
Will regard to water hammer, your best bet is to install an expansion tank on the inlet pipe to the water heater. A 2.5 gallon expansion tank for water heaters up to 40 gal. and 5 gal for 50 gal. and above. These act as a shock absorber for your entire house water supply and extend the life of the water heater. They are required for new installations in most places, but can be added as a retrofit in existing systems.
A plumbing inspector once told me that localized water hammer arrestors ultimately aren't that effective because they eventually saturate. I have a feeling that's why they came up with the expansion tank.
Please! We just bought a home last month and I WISH these were my problems! We had to replace all 3 exterior doors because the wood in the frames was so rotten, it wouldn't even hold the screws for the new locks we were trying to put in.
We've had to have an electrician friend of our rewire half the house. He said he's surprised the place hasn't caught fire yet as jerry-rigged as the wiring was in there.
We have to snake out the drains from the roof. (That one's not a big deal. Just a pain.)
We have to tent the house to spray for dry wood termites, big-headed ants, and German roaches.
And this is just the stuff to make the house SAFE. We haven't even started working on making the house look nice. My floor is covered with sawdust and sand.
And believe it or not... this is the house we looked at with the LEAST amount of work to be done. The others were far more damaged!