Loading the slideshow

The slideshow requires script be turned on to function.


Powered by
Mar 16, 2013 9:51AM
Good ideas to check your house. I will have to remind my Husband. To check our 100 plus old house!!
Oct 6, 2012 5:35AM
Why would msn post such an article meant to frighten homeowners who are not sure how to deal with these problems.  I have a FHA, and all was well until we had an earthquake and record heat and drought.  I was horrified to find my driveway was built without rebar!  A pox upon all shady builders and govt officials who let this practice continue.  But, my realtor is a very trustworthy person who has helped my family work through this mire.
Sep 8, 2012 8:01AM
Very important issue is to  seal,cover,protect ,fix or replace any entry points of the water to our houses ,especially in colder climate when any amount of water inside masonry or concrete can freeze ,expand and make damged into body of our houses.For more tips and advises check at :www.gralak-tuckpointing .com
Sep 1, 2012 8:57AM
Thanks guys who "actually do know "  I about had a heart attack bec I do have a small corner crack, but if thats normal, or may be normal then I feel better. I will research to see if its a worry or not. I think experts should always comment when these articles come out that try to scare you!!
Sep 1, 2012 8:02AM
Expansive clay is a house worst night mare.   If the foundation is not design to take the pressure it will almost walk off the lot.  Home builder are mostly fly by night money makers and take all the short cuts.  By the time you start having problem he is long gone and just don't give a dam.  We have too many m****duced homes.  The city or state politics just don't give  a dam  while they are being built.  BUT! when you go to repair these garbage dumps they want to stick their noses in it.  Where were they when the flop house was being built?  Sipping wine with the builder.  Maybe that is why they call themselfs  builders,  They couldn't Construct a chicken house.
Sep 1, 2012 7:15AM
How do you find someone you can trust to tell you what really needs to be done to the house if it shows signs of this. Our house is on a slab and we have all of the issues described in the article. Will the slab continues to crack and crumble and how do you fix it on a slab not a basement?
Sep 1, 2012 6:24AM
FYI: For FHA buyers you will need to repair items like these before the sale will close.  Not too expensive but a pain.  Best to do it ahead of time.
Sep 1, 2012 5:54AM

Agape Storm Company, LLC

We do roofing and waterproofing on residences in Louisiana

Insurance Claims Specialists and Catastrophe Experts


Sep 1, 2012 4:38AM
First start with the gutters...are they sound, plugged, or just plain worn out and leaking? I had water in the basement, replaced the gutters and bingo...problem solved.
Sep 1, 2012 4:22AM

Small vertical foundation cracks are normal as a house ages.  They can usually be fixed using a quick-drying hydraulic cement, and sealed with a waterproofing paint.  Horizontal cracks, however, can be a much bigger problem, often indicating significant shifting in the foundation.


If you ever have to install a new water heater, it is a good idea to purchase a water heater tub.  This is basically a round, heavy plastic tub that the water heater sits in.  The sides of the tub are about six inches high, and the tubs usually have a fitting to allow the connection of a short piece of garden hose to direct water to the drain.  When a water heater fails catastrophically, the bottom of the tank rusts out and can potentially dump the entire contents on the floor, flooding the area.  Even a relatively slow leak can cause serious problems if not caught quickly.  These tubs are just a bit of inexpensive insurance.

Sep 1, 2012 4:21AM

Call Water Leak Specialist, inc.

Fix leaks and cracks in foundation.   Water drainage issues.


Sep 1, 2012 4:16AM

I am a owner of Gralak Waterproofing Concrete and Tuckpointing in Chicago area and I would like to say about checking/inspecting also all masonry joints,deteriorated bricks and iron widow lintels wher water can find way to entry into inner walls and create water damage in the walls.

especially for owners of concrete /cinder blocks (CMU's) houses periodically the sealer application should be determinated every at least 5-7 years.

For details visit us at:www.gralak-tuckpointing.com or call:773-282-2332.

"Have  a  dry  Home!"

Sep 1, 2012 4:01AM
 If only MSN would get people who know what they are speaking of "Not a handyman from Colorado speaking of foundations settling". Let him stick to installing doorknobs, etc. MSN consistently has articles that are totally incorrect. A structural engineer should be the ONLY one to discuss these matters. This whole article is a joke!!!
Sep 1, 2012 3:59AM
The first photo appears to be nothing but slab corner cracking which is not indicative of structural problems. It's just caused from slightly inadequate construction (The slab goons don't run the rebar all the way into the corners and tie it. They bend it inside the corners.) and everyday expansion and contraction.
Please help us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community by reporting any illegal or inappropriate behavior. If you believe a message violates theCode of Conductplease use this form to notify the moderators. They will investigate your report and take appropriate action. If necessary, they report all illegal activity to the proper authorities.
100 character limit
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


video on msn real estate