8 tips for a slumping market
Successful real-estate investors share their know-how.
By Judi Hasson of MSN Real Estate
Here are tips from those who made good deals in this slumping housing market:
1. Do your homework before jumping in. Buy real estate in an area that is stable, with low crime and good schools.
2. Look for properties with good amenities such as a swimming pool and garage.
3. The top places to buy, according to some investors, are parts of California, Texas and some counties in Florida. The worst is Detroit, which had the highest foreclosure rate in the United States.
4. Focus on enhancing the kitchen, bathrooms and master bedroom.
5. Give it curb appeal.
6. Stay away from Jacuzzis. It's a good dating tool, but not a good idea if you have four kids, says real-estate investor Stephen Crawford of Richmond, Va.
7. Stay away from frame homes to avoid the risk of termite damage.
8. If you aren't good at fixing houses, find someone who is.
Click here to read "Bargains: The sunny side of the housing slump."
MSN needs your opinion!
We need your help!Please help MSN Real Estate serve you better by taking this short survey.Close X
FIND YOUR DREAM HOME OR APARTMENT
Date 5/22/13 1:51
Tooltip Information:Few homes in Moore had basementsVideo by:Description: Meteorologist Darby Bybee explains it's not easy to build a shelter or basement in Oklahoma.Rating: 4Views: 221
Date 5/20/13 1:50
Tooltip Information:Homeowners have responsibilities after stormsVideo by:Description: People whose homes sustain damage in severe weather should call their insurance agents for help with the damage, but there are things they should do while they wait for the agent to have someone come out.Rating: 4.33Views: 1198
Date 5/22/13 1:57
Tooltip Information:Barbara Corcoran: Brooklyn is the New ManhattanVideo by:Description: Real estate mogul Barbara Corcoran on New York City real estate and why Brooklyn is heating up.Rating: 4Views: 258
Date 5/20/13 9:10
Tooltip Information:Barbara Corcoran: Crowdfunding Is the Big KahunaVideo by:Description: FOXBusiness.com’s Kate Rogers sits down with real estate mogul Barbara Corcoran to talk about her strategies as an angel investor, crowdfunding and the best advice she got starting out.Rating: 3Views: 518