5 tips for a better open house
If you're committed to holding an open house, here's how to do it right.
By Melinda Fulmer of MSN Real Estate
1. Clean and repair your home. It should go without saying, but clean your house as if you were going to eat off the floors. Also, consider making minor cosmetic repairs and upgrades such as touching up paint and planting fresh flowers.
2. De-clutter. Put away the ceramics collection, toys and things lining the bathroom and kitchen counters. A crowded house makes it look smaller and makes it harder for buyers to imagine it as their own, says Gail Mayhugh, a professional home stager and owner of GMJ Interiors in Las Vegas.
3. De-personalize. Take down family photos, trophies and other personal touches, even that book on your nightstand. Buyers need to imagine the house as a blank slate, ready to be occupied and personalized by them, Mayhugh says.
4. Consider holding an early viewing just for the locals. For instance, if you are having an open house from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., invite your neighbors from noon to 1 p.m. It will make them feel good and allow the agent to focus on the most interested parties when the real open house starts.
5. Promote heavily. Make sure your open house is listed on the MLS and on other Internet sites such as Realtor.com, Expo or Craigslist.com. Post lots of pictures, send out fliers, put up lots of signs and advertise in your local paper.
MSN needs your opinion!
We need your help!Please help MSN Real Estate serve you better by taking this short survey.Close X
FIND YOUR DREAM HOME OR APARTMENT
Date 7/24/14 2:07
Tooltip Information:Why Zillow Would Want to Buy Rival Site TruliaVideo by:Description: July 24 (Bloomberg) -- Zillow is seeking to acquire rival Trulia, people with knowledge of the matter said, in a move to combine the two most-visited U.S. real estate websites. Shares of both companies jumped. Jeffrey McCracken reports on "Bottom Line." (Source: Bloomberg)Rating: 4Views: 131
Date 7/24/14 2:22
Tooltip Information:See Inside Heidi Klum's Gorgeous $25M MansionVideo by:Description: The 'Project Runway' judge puts her lavish Los Angeles estate up for sale. Get a tour of the unbelievable pad, and see Heidi's incredible ocean view!Rating: 4Views: 28336
Date 7/24/14 2:25
Tooltip Information:The Porch Goes UpscaleVideo by:Description: Porches are being designed as fully-functional outdoor rooms. The Scarboroughs have four porches on their Georgia horse farm; Eric Michael and Craig Kruger’s home has three stacked porches. Photo: Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn for The Wall Street JournalRating: 5Views: 306
Date 7/23/14 2:58
Tooltip Information:Welcome to Miami: 'Million Dollar Listing' Heats UpVideo by:Description: July 23 (Bloomberg) -- Samantha DeBianchi, Chris Leavitt and Chad Carroll from Bravo’s ‘Million Dollar Listing Miami’ discuss luxury real estate in Miami and the success of the show. They speak with Trish Regan on “Street Smart.” (Source: Bloomberg)Rating: 4Views: 427