5 tips for a better open house
If you're committed to holding an open house, here's how to do it right.
By Melinda Fulmer of MSN Real Estate
1. Clean and repair your home. It should go without saying, but clean your house as if you were going to eat off the floors. Also, consider making minor cosmetic repairs and upgrades such as touching up paint and planting fresh flowers.
2. De-clutter. Put away the ceramics collection, toys and things lining the bathroom and kitchen counters. A crowded house makes it look smaller and makes it harder for buyers to imagine it as their own, says Gail Mayhugh, a professional home stager and owner of GMJ Interiors in Las Vegas.
3. De-personalize. Take down family photos, trophies and other personal touches, even that book on your nightstand. Buyers need to imagine the house as a blank slate, ready to be occupied and personalized by them, Mayhugh says.
4. Consider holding an early viewing just for the locals. For instance, if you are having an open house from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., invite your neighbors from noon to 1 p.m. It will make them feel good and allow the agent to focus on the most interested parties when the real open house starts.
5. Promote heavily. Make sure your open house is listed on the MLS and on other Internet sites such as Realtor.com, Expo or Craigslist.com. Post lots of pictures, send out fliers, put up lots of signs and advertise in your local paper.
MSN needs your opinion!
We need your help!Please help MSN Real Estate serve you better by taking this short survey.Close X
FIND YOUR DREAM HOME OR APARTMENT
Date 4/17/14 1:58
Tooltip Information:How to get credit when you don't have anyVideo by:Description: If you need to borrow money, you need to have credit. But what happens when you don't have any?Rating: 4Views: 5598
Date 4/4/14 1:26
Tooltip Information:3 reasons low mortgages can't help first-time buyersVideo by:Description: Anika Khan, Wells Fargo Securities Senior Economist, explains how low inventories and tight credit standards are keeping new home buyers at bay.Rating: 4Views: 473
Date 4/3/14 4:06
Tooltip Information:How reading your mortgage statement can save you moneyVideo by:Description: ‘More Money Please’ author Scott Gamm on how you can pay off your mortgage sooner and save money.Rating: 5Views: 813