11 essential loan-modification tips
If you’re considering ways to lower your monthly mortgage payments, here’s what you need to know to get the help you need and avoid scammers.
If you're one of the many Americans who are staggering under the anvil weight of your mortgage, two words may yet save you: loan modification.
Simply put, a loan modification is a retooling of your home loan – by adjusting the interest rate, the loan's duration or other factors – until it's low enough each month that you can afford to pay it.
"There are as many as 5 million homeowners who are struggling with their payments, who are 30 days, 60 days, 90 days behind," says Ralph Roberts, author of the blog KeepMyHouse.com and the book "Protect Yourself From Real Estate and Mortgage Fraud." (Another of his books, "Loan Modification for Dummies," will be published this summer.) "Lots of people need loan modifications."
Past loan modifications have often simply delayed the pain; homeowners' new loans weren't good enough and they soon found themselves in trouble again (read "6 reasons modified loans are going bad").The Obama administration is trying to fix that with its Making Home Affordable modification program, which focuses on home modifications and refinances.
But how do you ensure that you get the most favorable terms you can, so that you can stay in your home? Should you tackle it yourself or get professional help? The following 11 tips and strategies can put your mind at ease and keep your home off the auction block:
1. Start now: Not so long ago, loan modification was an option reserved only for homeowners who were in default – that is, when their lender filed a motion to start the foreclosure process, usually after 90 days of late payments. No more, says Jack Guttentag, a professor emeritus of finance at the University of Pennsylvania who runs the Mortgage Professor Web site.
Now, homeowners are receiving help before they go into default, says Moe Bedard, founder of LoanSafe.org and president of Loan Safe Solutions, a firm that performs forensic loan audits on mortgages for borrowers' lawyers. "Some mortgage servicers require a borrower to be 30 days late or more," Bedard says. "Some will work with you before you are late (that is rare). This is really a luck of the draw on who your mortgage servicer is and sometimes the negotiator you are assigned." But the new federal assistance does not require that homeowners be in default before they seek help.
If you have questions on whether you're eligible for a modification, you can complete a quick quiz on the Making Home Affordable site. You won't get a definitive answer, however, so Roberts suggests reaching out as soon as you think that you could be getting into trouble.
2. You need professional help (or do you?): One of the first questions you need to answer is whether you want to tackle pursuing a loan modification yourself. Should you hire an attorney or a loan-modification firm? Seek help from a nonprofit housing group? The advice varies.
"Are you savvy enough, and do you have the time, to battle these lenders on your own?" Bedard asks. "It's always wise to have someone help you." However, he adds, "if you do have some type of track record, and you have some time and you are savvy about these things, then you could tackle it yourself … because no one is going to fight like you."
Alexa Milton, homeowner advocacy and partnership director for the nonprofit Acorn, recommends seeking out an agency like hers – a HUD-approved counseling agency (find one here) that doesn't charge for its services and that has extensive experience dealing with loan modifications, even complex or tricky ones. "You shouldn't have to pay for these services," Milton says.
Depending on state laws, it can even be illegal to charge upfront for these services – a definite warning sign if you're vetting loan-modification companies.
Roberts says spending perhaps $2,500 on an attorney who's well-versed in these issues can be money well-spent. There are a number of loan-modification scams out there, so be careful not to pay any fees upfront or disclose bank-account information to parties other than your loan servicer or bank.
3. Uncover your lender: Knowing who your lender is may help you get a better modification. These days, your loan is either owned by a single bank or it’s been sliced up into tiny pieces and turned into a mortgage-backed security and is owned by many people.
“If the bank owns the loan, you for sure have the possibility of getting more flexible terms, because they don't have to go anywhere else to get pre-approval,” Roberts says. "You really don't know what you qualify for unless you know who owns your loan."
How to find out? Go directly to your mortgage servicer and ask who owns your loan, Roberts says. You can find servicers' phone numbers on your mortgage statement or book of payment coupons or at Hope Now. You also can try the Web sites of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, where you can input your address to find out if it is a Fannie or Freddie loan, respectively.
In addition, the new Making Home Affordable program hopes to help about 9 million American households. Participation by servicers is voluntary, but the government is offering incentives for them to participate. Most major servicers are expected to participate, and an updated list can be found on the Web site.
4. Be honest: As part of an application, you'll have to gather a bunch of your financial information and present it to the lender. Give the lender exactly what it needs, so the process goes swiftly. And make sure it's accurate. "It can be tempting to bend the truth when you are trying to convince a lender to approve a loan modification," Roberts writes on his blog. "Some homeowners are embarrassed by something they did to place their finances in jeopardy – possibly a gambling addiction or substance abuse. Others try to fudge the numbers to make themselves eligible for a loan modification they cannot otherwise qualify for." But now isn't the time for deception or anything less than full disclosure, Roberts says. It will only come back to bite you.
According to the Making Home Affordable site, you'll want to gather the following paperwork before reaching out to your servicer:
- Information about the monthly gross (before tax) income of your household, including recent pay stubs if you receive them or documentation of income you receive from other sources.
- Your most recent income-tax return.
- Information about your savings and other assets.
- Information about your first mortgage, such as your monthly mortgage statement.
- Information about any second mortgage or home-equity line of credit on the house.
- Account balances and minimum monthly payments due on all of your credit cards.
- Account balances and monthly payments on all your other debts such as student loans and car loans.
- A letter describing any circumstances that caused your income to be reduced or expenses to be increased (job loss, divorce, illness, etc.) if applicable. (See next tip on how to craft the perfect letter.)
5. Write the ideal hardship letter: As part of your paperwork, you'll have to write a so-called hardship letter that explains how you got into this mess. This letter is very important and needs to be written well. "You want to be to the point but also specific," says Acorn's Milton. "If the servicer can't understand why you originally fell behind from reading your hardship letter, they may wonder whether there's other things going on that you're not telling them.
"One common mistake would be (for example) if someone had a heart attack in August, and they spent most of the letter talking about how that put them behind, when their finances actually show that they started to fall behind in June."
That letter writer should have been precise in explaining the exact train of events: His hours at work were cut back in the spring, which led to trouble with the mortgage, which led to more stress, which led to the heart attack in August, for example. That makes more sense, Milton points out.
And keep it concise, she says. "It's easier to read a two-paragraph or three-paragraph letter than a five-page letter."
Are you a business man or woman? Are you in any financial stress or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain a loan from local banks and other financial institutes? the solution to your financial problem is Lee Chang Finance Loan company.
* Personal Loan, Business Expansion
* Business Start-up and Education
* Debt Consolidation
* Hard Money Loans
* Mortgage Finance
We are a private financial Institution in the United Kingdom, we offer low interest on loans over one year to fifty years. For more information and application contact us with the information below:
Global Marketing Manager
This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein.
© Copyright Lee Chang Finance Loan Company UK 2013. All Rights Reserved.
Your marital statues:___________
Purpose of loan:___________________
Contact me on my Email address:firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you need an urgent loan to solve your financial needs, We Offer loan
ranging from $5,000.00 to $10,000,000.00 Max, we are reliable, efficient,
Fast and dynamic,with 100% Guaranteed We also gives out loan in (
Euros,Pounds and Dollars. ) The Interest rate applicable to all Loans is
(2%, ) if you are interested get back to us via (
email@example.com ) with the information below :
Your Full Name:
Mr Clifford Elam
Please contact Mrs Ronnie Marcovankish. she doesn't know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about her and also i want God to bless her more. You can contact her through her email: firstname.lastname@example.org
to start up a business or to invest on a huge business,we also offer Loans to
individuals, Firms and cooperate bodies at low interest rate , loan terms
determinant,Loan amount between the sum of $5,000.00 to $100,000,000.00. US
Dollars And Euro. Loan for developing businesses a competitive edge/
We Offer The Following Kinds Of Loans.
Personal Loans (Secure and Unsecured)
Business Loans (Secure and Unsecured)
FIRST INFORMATIONS NEEDED ARE:
BORROWER’S DATA’S INFORMATION,FILL AND RETURN FOR
QUICK START UP PROCESS.
Amount Needed as Loan:_________
Monthly Income/Yearly Income:_________
Purpose for Loan:_________
How Soon is Loan Needed__________
Email via: email@example.com
We are Christian Organization formed to help people in needs of helps,such as financial help.So if you are going through financial
difficulty or you are in any financial mess,and you need funds to start up your own business,or you need loan to settle your debt or pay
off your bills,start a nice business, or you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks, for the bible says""Luke 11:10
Everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened"so do not let these opportunity pass you by
because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever more.Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
You are advise to fill and return the details below..
LOAN APPLICATION FORM
Name of applicant:................
Purpose of loan:....................
Here comes an Affordable loan that will change your life for ever,
I am Mrs Lily Brown a certified loan lender, I offer loan to
individual and public sector that are in need of financial Assistance
in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and
Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret
anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile.
I Mrs Lily Brown, will render the best of my services to all
legitimate borrowers.You will never be disappointed by me in this
transaction because you were not born to be a loser.Any interested
clients should contact me Asap via Email(firstname.lastname@example.org)
for further proceeds.
Please fill the below application form and get back if interested and
you will be glad of knowing a loan lender like Mrs Mrs Lily Brown
11)Next of Kin:
12)Loan Amount Needed:
14)Purpose of Loan:
As soon as you fill the form above, I will send you my loan Terms And
Conditions Asap in order for us to proceed.
I will be looking forward to hear from you so as to proceed.
loan to private and corporate individuals. Have you been turned down
by so many banks? Do you need finance to establish your business? Do
you need finance for the expansion of your business? Or do you need a
personal loan?. contact us now:: email@example.com
BORROWERS DATA FORM
5)YOUR MARITAL STATUS
contact us now:: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Daniel Smith
Hello every one please i will like to talk about the goodness of GOD in my life after so many months of trying to get a loan on the internet and was scammed the sum of 1,800 euro i became so desperate in getting a loan from a legit lender online then a friend told me that there is a legit loan company where he got his loan fast and easy without any stress so he introduced me to a Man called Mr Clark Larry who is the CEO EMINENT FINANCE LOAN COMPANY, So i applied for a loan sum of (75,000.00 euro) with low interest rate so the loan was approved and deposited into my bank account that was how i was able to get my loan, so i was able to pay off my bills. i am advising every one who is interested in getting a loan fast and easy to kindly contact them via email: email@example.com as well, So thanks as you read the greatest testimony of my life story and thanks be to GOD almighty for his goodness upon my life.
I am Allen by name.
Welcome to ASYLUM FINANCIAL ENTERPRISE PLC.
Contact us via: A.LOAN@ASYLUM.COM for an affordable Loan Offer at 3% Interest rate from a minimum of $5,000.00. Our Loan terms are between 1-10years.Provide the following details;
Verifiable Contact address:
ASYLUM Loan online office
BORROWER'S DATA INFORMATION'S NEEDED
PLEASE NOTE: ALL REPLIES SHOULD BE FORWARD TO:firstname.lastname@example.org, FOR IMMEDIATE RESPONSES..
my names are Mr jerry best. We offer private loans, commercial and very personal with annual minimum interest rates as low as 3% within 1 year to 40 years of repayment duration period to any part of the world. And We give out loans within the range of $ 2,000 to $ 100,000,000.00 USD.Our loans are well insured and maximum security is our priority, interested persons should contact with us today via Email: email@example.com